We have discovered a new favourite meal of Joe’s- Macaroni cheese! This is great because it is a high calorie meal with lots of cheese for him to enjoy and get lots of dairy goodness! (Joe has cystic fibrosis and needs a high calorie diet due to EPI- you can read about that here) Not so good for mommy and daddy though!
200g macaroni (we used high fibre macaroni but you can use any)
1 onion chopped
2 rashers of bacon chopped
600ml milk (we used full fat but use whatever you prefer)
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 oz grated cheddar
2 oz mascarpone cheese or any other soft cheese
- Preheat the oven to around 180 degrees centigrade and grease a large ovenproof dish.
- Cook the macaroni rapidly in boiling water until tender and then drain.
- Heat the butter in a large pan and add the bacon and onion- stir over a medium heat for 5 mins until soft.
- Add the flour and stir over a low heat for 1 minute
- Remove from the heat and gradually add the milk.
- Stir until smooth then return to medium heat and cook stirring continuously for 4 mins or until the mixture visibly thickens
- Remove from the heat and add the grated nutmeg
- Add the pasta and two thirds of the grated cheese and the marscapone. Stir together thoroughly then spoon into the prepared oven proof dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for 20 mins or until lightly golden.
- And enjoy!