Unfortunately these pancakes were consumed very quickly and therefore the only photographs I have of the pancakes are of the “barely there” variety. As you can see Joe was a big fan. I served the pancakes with a spoonful of nutella so Joe could dip them in – adding a few more much needed calories!
Robin and I also enjoyed them but we had honey drizzled over the top of ours!
The recipe for these pancakes is based on the blueberry pancakes recipe- otherwise known as purple pancakes- which can be found in Ella’s Kitchen “The Red One” cookbook (see here), which we have borrowed several times from our local library. We substituted bananas instead of blueberries mainly because that’s what we had in! But also because Joe is a big fan of bananas. This recipe is a great way to get some fruit into Joe whilst also keeping up his calorie and fat intake which he needs because of his CF and pancreatic insufficiency- see more on that here.
- 150g self raising flour
- 1 large free range egg
- 150ml full fat milk
- 50g banana (essentially one small banana)
- unsalted butter for frying
- 1 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence (optional)
- honey, chocolate spread or peanut butter to serve (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to low and put in a plate so you can keep your pancakes warm later
- Sift the flour into a small mixing bowl and make a well in the centre
- break the egg into a jug, add the milk and mix well
- pour the mixture into the well (add sugar and vanilla if using) and mix all the ingredients well to form a smooth batter
- Mash up the banana until really mushy or put in a food processor then add this to the batter mixing until fully incorporated with no lumps.
- Heat a frying pan and add a small amount of butter.
- Cook spoonfuls of the batter on the frying pan to form little scotch style pancakes (I used a ladle to measure out bater – 1/2 a ladle per pancake) for around a minute each side or until slightly browned.
- Keep warm in the oven until ready to serve all at once.
- Serve the pancakes with your choice of topping!